Friday, January 14, 2011

Never getting around to it? (Part 2)

I'm finally getting around to finishing what I started!

Photobucket

(My thanks to Laura Staley for the use of this image.)

Earlier this week, I suggested these six ways to stop spinning your wheels and get things DONE!
  • Make more than one list/Prioritize
  • Understand the task
  • Gather the materials
  • Set aside a block of time
  • Get past fears - JUST DO IT!
  • Finish the task!
I covered the first three here: Never Getting Around To It (Part 1). Now for the rest...

Set aside a block of time:
I find that if I do not carve out a time for some things, they just never happen. It's too easy to procrastinate when I imagine I'll do something at some vague time in the future, especially when I think that the perfect time to accomplish that task will just miraculously present itself. That does happen... but rarely! Put it on the calendar, schedule it like you would an appointment, don't let other less important tasks or distractions crowd in on that time. One of the best tips I ever received was to chose your most dreaded task for the day and do it FIRST! This helps me a lot, because even if the task is unpleasant, once it is done, I feel a tremendous burden lifted and can just enjoy the rest of my day.

Get past fears - JUST DO IT!
Some tasks are very intimidating. Some fears are well founded and others are not. I'm very bad about getting excited about an idea, but once I do the research and gather my materials, I start to fear that I am getting in over my head. Have confidence in yourself! JUST DO IT! You'll be happy that you did!

Finish the task!
Mary Poppins said, "Well begun is half done." The other half is FINISHING the job! How many half finished jobs do you have at your house? I admit... we have a few. They are just going to keep nagging at you until you get it done, so just make yourself finish the job. If you are like me, you will be grumpy about it until you do. Take pride in your work, and tie up those loose ends. You might need to go back to step 4 and set aside a block of time to finish the job. Do.

I hope this has been helpful! I know it has been rather motivating for me... especially the nagging job of getting the trim painted in our bathroom. When I get a round tuit, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...