Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Improvising a Diaper in a Pinch

Have you ever run out of diapers? It happens. I use cloth diapers and have a small stash of prefolds and covers that I reserve for my "back up diapers", but there are still times when I come very close to running out of diapers. Most of the times I have been short a diaper or two have been while out and about. You can't always predict a significantly delay or multiple diaper disasters. Running out of diapers doesn't have to be a disaster though, just use your noggin!

When I ran out of diapers one time at a gospel meeting, I still had a usable diaper cover, so I just folded two burp cloths inside and put it on our baby. Alternately, I could have used a receiving blanket or even my husband's undershirt - all you need is a piece of cloth that will wrap around the baby's bum and provide a reasonable amount of absorbancy. If you don't have a diaper cover to give you a waterproof barrier, just use a plastic sack.

I think everyone should know how to improvise a diaper. Even if you use disposables, you may find yourself in a situation where you simply cannot get diapers and the need is imminent. Babies need to be clean and dry - it is basic sanitation. Leaving a baby in a wet or soiled diaper for too long can cause awful health problems. Just imagine if you were so very helpless and dependent for your basic care, wouldn't you want to be kept clean?

Improvising a diaper is something I'm sure your grandmother knew all about. Seems like in our strangely sanitized and detached society, this knowledge has missed a generation or two. So take a look at the link and tuck this one back in the recesses of your mind. You never know when you are going to need it!

Cotton Babies - Almost Free Diapers

Have you ever had to improvise a diaper? What did you do?

And if you have no babies or grandbabies, or have no interest whatsoever in diapers, here's a great link on making your own yogurt. I make my own yogurt from time to time in a yogurt maker, but intrigued by this technique and look forward to giving it a try.

Four Secrets to Thick, Creamy Yogurt Every Time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...