Monday, February 21, 2011

How's the Hospitality Going?

So, you may be wondering how my New Year's resolution of working on planned, purposeful hospitality is going. (It was my goal to have one family a month over for Sunday dinner in 2011.)

Not well.

Yet.

A bit of a re-cap:
January - I made two attempts to invite people over. One was not very well-executed on my part. I failed to invite anyone ahead of time, but still had an idea of a group that could work out for a spontaneous get-together. We had been sick, we had major commitments going on, and I knew I could not do it all. So I made a choice. I didn't accompany my husband to a gospel meeting he was preaching the Saturday before so I could take care of my "Martha jobs" and get the boys (who had been sick) to bed early. I was feeling proud of myself - I was so on top of things and prepared. Then the group we tried to invite fell through when they made other plans. I admit to being bitterly disappointed over that one. I so wish I could go back and go to the meeting with my husband. But I learned a couple of very important lessons.

1) Make plans ahead of time and 2) choose the better part!

My second attempt was foiled by illness yet again - not in our family, but in our guest's family. That is ok. We're working on rescheduling. We were also ill for two weeks in January.

February - We were traveling for the first two weeks of the month. We were ill the third week of the month. I have one Sunday left. *sigh*

So I'm trying. And I'm learning. And even if no one has actually visited our dining room table on a Sunday afternoon, I'm practicing. I like that the NASB uses the word "practicing" in Romans 12:13.

Practice makes perfect, right?

Romans 12:10-13 - Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor; not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer, contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality. (NASB)

1 Peter 4:8-10 - Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. Show hospitality to one another without grumbling. As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace. (ESV)

I'm also hoping we can finally get everyone in our family on the road to good health once again! That will certainly help our efforts at hospitality!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...