Saturday, January 1, 2011

I Am Resolved...

Happy New Year!!!

I am not sure what it is about this year, but I have such a strong sense of starting with a clean slate and writing upon it the choices that I make in the way that I wish to live. I can chose to walk in purity and righteousness serving my heavenly Father. I can chose to speak with "the law of kindness on my tongue" (Proverbs 31:26) at all times. I can chose to be patient and devoted to training up my children in the way they should go (Proverbs 22:6). I can chose to cherish my husband for the man that he is each day. I can chose to laugh and sing and live joyfully despite the circumstances in my life. The past matters not, I chose this now.

Normally, I don't do New Years Resolutions. I try to live in such a way that I am constantly reflecting upon where I am and what I need to do to improve - character, habits, all of the essentials. My life's motto is from Longfellow's Psalm of Life, "That each tomorrow finds us further than today." This year though, I have one project that I wish to particularly focus upon, and that is hospitality. Specifically planned hospitality.

A while back I joked with Preacher Man that we are too busy being hospitable to be hospitable. We do very well with impromptu hospitality and casual gatherings. I wish to be more purposeful though, and this will require self-discipline and planning on my part. There are many families with whom we need to have a better connection, and having people into our home is a great way to do this. I may be doing some posting on the subject from time to time as it will be wonderful motivation for me. In addition to what we are already doing, I am now making the specific goal of opening our home at least once every month for Sunday lunch.

For some excellent ideas for resolutions for the upcoming year, see The Common Room for some good, nearly century old advice. Remember, there is nothing new under the sun!

May the Lord bless you and your family in the coming year as you work in His kingdom!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...