Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thankful Thursdays: Living Water

Psalm 42:2 - My soul thirsts for God, for the living God;

John 4:13-14 - Jesus said to her, "Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

Matthew 7:7-11 - Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!

Back in October when I first started this blog, I described myself as being spiritually "as dry as a desert". I cried out to God about my thirst, and He heard my prayer. Today, I am thankful for His living water which He has been pouring into my life ever since. I still don't often hear an entire sermon, and my time for personal study is as rare as it was before, but God has blessed me with spiritual nourishment just when I need it the most in the form of encouraging fellowship, a kind note, encouraging lectures, Godly advice, and insightful books. The Lord has been mindful of me, and I am grateful for His blessings.

I've not yet finished the book, but I have been so encouraged reading Diapers, Pacifiers, and Other Holy Things by Lorraine Pintus. This collection of encouraging words from a mother who has been right where I am now has been a balm for my soul. Being a mother of Littles is tough work. Here's an excerpt from the first chapter:

I love You, Lord, I prayed. I want to spend time with You. But the days of hour-long quiet times with You are gone.

God agreed. You don't have an hour, Lorraine. But you have a moment!

Day after day, I worked hard to "take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ" (II Cor. 10:5). Seeing God in every circumstance became easier, more natural. Then a strange thing happened. I began to sing! In the midst of mundane duties, God was allowing me to glimpse His glory. Even as I wiped spit up off the floor or cleared strained peas off the wall, I rejoiced. I was in the presence of the living God.

Before having kids, I had compartmentalized God, sticking Him into time slots labeled Bible Study, Quiet Time, and Church. Now the compartment walls had fallen down. God spilled over into every moment of my life.

Ironic isn't it? It took not having an hour with God to realize that I had the whole day with Him!


Thank you God for these moments. They are like streams of water in the desert, quenching the thirst in my soul. Thank you God for Your Word, the Living Water in my life.

Isaiah 35:6-7 - For waters break forth in the wilderness, and streams in the desert; the burning sand shall become a pool, and the thirsty ground springs of water

1 comment:

  1. I once read that there were 89 workers who were tragically killed during the building of Boulder (Hoover) Dam. There is a memorial plaque that says " For those who died that the desert might bloom." One day, the desert will bloom to the glory of God, because Jesus Christ died on the cross for the sons of the world...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...