Monday, March 7, 2011

Cabbage

It's that time of year again...

Cabbage is $.17/lb. In past years I have seen it as low as $.05/lb. as a "loss leader" item. Grocery stores are practically giving away this vegetable in honor of St. Patrick's day. Cabbage is a very economical vegetable to use throughout the year though. The regular price runs around $.40/lb. and that is CHEAP folks!

Now... how to use all that cabbage...

I didn't grow up eating a lot of cabbage. I learned how to make a pretty good cole slaw as a summertime potluck favorite, but other than that, my experience is minimal. Here are a couple of recipes I'm interested in trying out:


I have some friends who make lacto-fermented sauerkraut, but I've not tried it. There are wonderful step-by-step instructions with photos here on The Family Homestead. I hear it is simple to do, but takes a bit of practice to get it packed in the jars well.

Do you have a favorite way to fix cabbage? Please share!

1 comment:

  1. We used to get a co-op produce basket. Very economical but we never knew what was coming! :) This actually turned out to be good because we tried lots of new things. Once we got 3 big heads of cabbage and I was at a loss what to do with them. I found this recipe

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lazy-Golumbkis/Detail.aspx

    and it turned out really well. I'd actually do it in a large pot instead of the crock pot to leave a little crunch in the cabbage, but this was good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...