Thursday, October 13, 2011

Grocery Store Math 101

Food prices are climbing, and we are feeling the pinch. Almost a year ago, I wrote the post Half Price Groceries, and while it still has some wonderful tips in there, my baseline prices have had to inch up along with the rising grocery prices. It is HARD for me to find dried beans for less than $1 per pound anymore, and beef less than $2 per pound is rare indeed. When I DO find amazing deals like these, there is usually a limit that prevents me from stocking up the way I would like. It is becoming more crucial than ever to be conscious of prices... REAL prices, not just the flashy sales signs. You have to look at the numbers and do the math! This may be elementary for many of my readers, but I know that when I was a fresh, new homemaker, I had to learn these lessons along the way. I had been grocery shopping for over 5 years for our family before I realized just how much deli meat and bagged lettuce cost per pound. It PAYS to look at the unit price!!



You will see a tag like this for nearly every item at your local store. If you are looking at the big numbers that you see, you get the cost per item. Look at the smaller numbers - the ones in the orange box in this picture. That is the UNIT PRICE and it is golden! You see, not all packages are equal size. Perhaps you have noticed the trend in frozen vegetables to only include 12 oz. per bag instead of 16 oz. that used to be the standard. You may think you are getting a good deal when you buy a package of frozen broccoli for a dollar, until you look closely and realize that instead of paying $1/lb the way you used to do, you are now paying $1.33/lb. The manufacturers are hoping that you don't notice this change. You have to beat them at their game. Don't look at the flashy packaging and advertisements, look at the cold hard facts - the numbers, and especially the unit price.


Take a calculator with you to the store, and start doing the math while you shop. It's isn't calculus, it is basic math - addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. You can do this!


In order to get prices on a level playing field, I look at the price per pound and try to mostly buy foods that cost less than $2 per pound. Here is how to calculate the price per pound:


There are 16 oz. in a pound. Some foods are packaged or sold by the pound and that makes it easy for you. Others take some fast math and it is usually as simple as two easy calculations. Here is your formula:

Price of Item % number of ounces = unit price per oz.


Unit price per oz. x 16 = price per pound


Here is an example with a 5 oz. can of tuna:


$1 % 5 oz. = $.20 (unit price per oz.)


$.20 x 16 = $3.20/lb


If your item is sold by the pound, it is even simpler and here is an example with a bag of onions:


$1.50 % 3 lbs = $.50/lb


To illustrate how important it is to look at the cost per pound, I pulled out this week's sales flier for the lower priced grocery store in my town where I do about 80% of my shopping. Because I advocate buying everything on sale, everything on the list is this week's sale price. As you will see, many times an item is still not a good buy, even when it is on sale.


Buy from this list:


Food

Price/lb.

Bag of yellow onions

$.50

20 lb. bag Goya white rice

$.40

Hunts canned tomatoes

$.57

Store brand wheat sandwich bread

$1.43

Fresh Broccoli, Grapes, and Red Peppers

$.99

5 lb. Bag Russet Potatoes

$.60

5 lb. Whole Carrots

$.60

Romaine Lettuce

$1.50

3 lb. bag apples

$.67

Barilla Whole Wheat Pasta

$.99

Allen’s Frozen Vegetables

$.99


Look! Lots of healthy food choices for less than a dollar a pound! Now, I realize there is no meat on this list and it is worth noting that in our family we are omnivores that very much NEED meat. (There are at least two of us that have a super metabolism that requires plenty of daily protein.) This just wasn't a terrific week for meat buying, though I did buy a beef roast for $2.57/lb. My target prices for meat are generally $1/lb for chicken and $2.50/lb. for beef. I occasionally buy wild caught salmon, though more often we make salmon patties from wild caught canned salmon so we can get our good omegas and calcium.

Avoid buying from this list:

Food

Price/lb.

Store Brand Deli Turkey

$6.99

Chicken of the Sea chunk light tuna

$3.20

Kellogg’s Cereals

$3.32

Store Brand Boxed Mac & Cheese

$3.43

Quaker Granola Bars

$7.38

Applegate Farms Organic Hot Dogs

$5.59

Organic Box Baby Spinach

$11.17

Dole Bagged Romaine

$3.56

Lays Potato Chips

$3.11

Dove Chocolates

$5.88

Yellowfin Tuna Steaks

$13.99!!!


So sad about the Dove Chocolates! Still, you have to weigh out cost vs. benefit and I am a firm believer in the sacredness of mama's chocolate stash, so if you have room for it in the budget, indulge. :) Just be sure you savor every bite!


This post is a part of the Four Moms linkup on keeping your food budget down as prices rise.

8 comments:

  1. Ugh, so true - I've been watching the prices creep up and up and UP. It's very frustrating. I take a calculator to the store (or use the one on my phone) in order to make sure I'm getting a good deal. Good tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all about the unit prices! I always compare the unit prices of what I am buying because I have been tricked by creative packaging in the past. Your charts are a great way to show the reality of grocery store pricing. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In our area some Mexican markets have opened. I am amazed at the prices I see on some items. Like yellow onions, I recently got 8 pounds for just $1.00 and I got boneless, skinless chicken breast for $1.00. It is a little different to shop in the Mexican market, they don't speak a lot of English. I admit my high school spanish is rusty to say the least, but with their flier in hand and patience I am able to save some money at the grocery store. I have even tried some 'new to me' brands of products. So far they are all fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job sharing this math that is much more important than rocket-science for the family!

    Sherry
    (Large Family Mothering)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The unit prices posted on the shelf at my local grocery store are sometimes wrong, so it pays to use my calculator!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm curious, so a lot of couponing blogs promote getting the small item for free or a small amount with sales and coupons when it is the highest unit price per pound. Is this wise? I guess I have to weigh what that final price per pound would be after the coupon and sale price as compared with the larger(originally less per pound) item. Am I thinking right? Thanks! armydairymom at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. armydairymom - you are exactly right in that it is smarter to do the math to find out what the best deal would be! I don't coupon anymore for various reasons, the biggest being that it just wasn't paying off anymore for me and I was losing money paying for my newspaper subscription, but when I did, I found that it was worth it to do the math and not just take the free item or trust what the coupon site said. Now if it was an item I was going to give away or wouldn't use very much, getting the free item might be a better idea, but if it was something that we really USED, getting the volume was worth it. I remember a particular instance with Tabasco sauce. :) Preacher Man was elated when I brought home a GIGANTIC bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very helpful! I know I always wait until the 93% lean ground beef goes on sale. The normal prices is around $3.50 per lb. I buy it at $2.50 per lb. in 10 lb. packages. I usually buy 30 lbs. at a time, and it lasts about 2-3 months! Just long enough to get it on sale. About 8 months ago, the same ground beef went for $1.99 per lb. Definitely frustrating with 3 little mouths to feed.

    GREAT POST! If I can only remember to do this AT THE STORE..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...