Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Putting a Song in Their Heart

Songs to teach your child for every week of the year!
My 52 picks -

Songs Every Child Should Know

  1. Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star
  2. Mary Had a Little Lamb
  3. Baa, Baa, Black Sheep
  4. Eency Weency Spider
  5. Starlight, Starbright
  6. I've Been Working on the Railroad
  7. Ring Around the Rosy
  8. The Farmer in the Dell
  9. Skip to My Lou
  10. Rain, Rain, Go Away
  11. Old McDonald Had a Farm
  12. London Bridge
  13. Row, Row, Row Your Boat
  14. This Old Man
  15. Hush Little Baby
Folk Songs Every Child Should Be Familiar With
(When they are grown, they may not know all of the words, but I hope they will have sung these songs and will recognize the tunes.)
  1. All the Pretty Little Horses
  2. Sleep, Baby, Sleep
  3. Bluebird, Bluebird, Through My Window
  4. What'll We Do With the Baby?
  5. Great Big House in New Orleans
  6. one of the John Henry songs
  7. Erie Canal
  8. Goodbye Old Paint
  9. Froggie Went A-Courtin'
  10. (My Cat Said) Fiddle-I-Fee
  11. Shenandoah
  12. Mary Wore Her Red Dress
  13. Sally Go 'Round the Sun
  14. Polly Wolly Doodle
  15. Here We Go 'Round the Mulberry Bush
Bible Songs
(Children should also learn adult hymns, but including them would make the three times as long!)
  1. This Little Light of Mine
  2. Jesus Loves Me
  3. Jesus Loves the Little Children**
  4. My God is So Big
  5. The Wise Man
  6. Peter, James, and John in a Sailboat
  7. Roll the Gospel Chariot
  8. The B-I-B-L-E
  9. I've got the Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy...
  10. Oh Be Careful Little Eyes...
  11. Who Made the Big, Round Sun?
  12. Read Your Bible, Pray Every Day
  13. The Lord's Army
  14. Can You Count the Stars?
** I change the words to say "red, brown, yellow, black and white".

Patriotic/American Songs
  1. The National Anthem
  2. God Bless America
  3. America, the Beautiful
  4. America (My Country 'Tis of Thee)
  5. This Land is Your Land
  6. Yankee Doodle
  7. Simple Gifts
  8. Battle Hymn of the Republic
I know I must have missed some favorites. What are your favorite songs from childhood or your children's favorite songs?

1 comment:

  1. I like a variation on "Jesus Loves the Little Children" that we learned in Fort Worth -
    "every color, dark or light"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...