Monday, December 26, 2011

Psalm 78

Photobucket

After the death of Joshua, the great leader of Israel, Judges 2:10 tells us, "And there arose another generation after them who did not know the LORD or the work that He had done for Israel." Joshua rallied the children of Israel around the words, "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" (Joshua 24:15), but it seems wealth and prosperity enabled them to quickly forget God and all He had done for them.

This Psalm tells the history of the children of Israel in such a wonderful way. The opening verses were what really grabbed my attention though.

Psalm 78
1
Give ear, O my people, to my teaching;
incline your ears to the words of my mouth!
2 I will open my mouth in a parable;
I will utter dark sayings from of old,
3 things that we have heard and known,
that our fathers have told us.
4 We will not hide them from their children,
but tell to the coming generation
the glorious deeds of the LORD, and his might,
and the wonders that he has done.

5 He established a testimony in Jacob
and appointed a law in Israel,
which he commanded our fathers
to teach to their children,
6 that the next generation might know them,
the children yet unborn,
and arise and tell them to their children,
7 so that they should set their hope in God
and not forget the works of God,
but keep his commandments;
8 and that they should not be like their fathers,
a stubborn and rebellious generation,
a generation whose heart was not steadfast,
whose spirit was not faithful to God.


Let us teach our children daily and with diligence. Let us resolve TODAY that our wealth and prosperity will not allow our children to fall prey to the world. We will be faithful, we will be steadfast, we will love the Lord and His law. This kind of teaching is not the responsibility of the local church, it falls squarely on the shoulders of parents and God makes this very clear.

As we go into the new year and you are thinking about ways to improve yourself and your family, make sure daily family prayer, Bible reading, and study is a part of your resolution. Resolve that your children and grandchildren, "yet unborn", will know the Lord. "Tell to the coming generation the glorious deeds of the LORD, and his might, and the wonders that he has done."

Does anything else in this world really matter? Does anything else have this kind of eternal consequence?

Lord, I pray that your name will ever be on my tongue. May I lift up Your name daily in praise and thanksgiving. Help me to teach my children with diligence. Help prepare their hearts to love You and to receive Your instruction. May we ever set our hope in You.


Pin It

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...