Saturday, December 3, 2011

A Frugal Cookie Recipe

It's Potluck Saturday!

My Grandma had these cookies around every time we went to her house. They are a little bit cakey, and I've never had anything quite like them elsewhere. I was making these recently and realized that they are pretty frugal as far as cookies go. The more expensive ingredients, such as eggs and butter only require amounts found in cookie doughs that make half the volume. Now these are not the most amazing cookies in the world, but they are nostalgic for me, and they are fun to make. They store really well, and even taste best a day old in my opinion. Enjoy!


Grandma’s Sugar Jumbles
5 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 sticks softened butter
2 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. buttermilk**
Mix the wet & dry ingredients separately, then together. Cover and refrigerate the dough for at least two hours. Drop by the spoonful onto a cookie sheet. Sprinkle some cinnamon & sugar on top. Bake for 15 min. at 375*
Makes 6 dozen

** I use either powdered buttermilk or regular whole milk with a splash of lemon juice in it. To make a dairy free version, I use unsweetened rice milk with a splash of lemon juice.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I found if I store these cookies (after they are baked) in plastic, they get a strange aftertaste. For best results, I store them in glass or tins. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I'm not so good at this commenting thing. That was from Hilary. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...