Monday, November 29, 2010

Deck the Halls

Christmas Tree

Trimming our tree this year is a little extra challenging because we have a very mobile little one, who is not quite old enough to be reliably obedient on what is "no touch". I'm all for house-proofing your child, but I am hesitant to leave temptations so easily available that could send a tiny one to the emergency room for a moment of disobedience. So for this year, we have kept the breakable glass and ceramic ornaments boxed up, as well as all of the metal ornament hooks. We have set our tree "in the midst of the garden", and it is the ideal "forbidden fruit" to work on some extra training. So far, preeeeeeetty good. :)

I'm not a big fan of tinsel, and while I like the idea of stringing popcorn and cranberries, it gets messy, and is a bit of a pain. I had a moment of pure genius though when I remembered that I have yards and yards of crocheted lace trim in one of my boxes of sewing supplies. I don't even remember when or where I got it, but it is PERFECT garland for our tree! The flat kind (not ruffled) works the best. The effect looks like a gentle flocking of snowflakes, and it is baby-friendly.

In an effort to fill in where the rest of the ornaments usually go, I pulled out a metal christmas cookie cutters and they look pretty nice up there. I will be looking for some crafty ideas to try my hand at making some ornaments with the littles.

For now... enjoy your holiday soundtracks and hot cocoa!

Here's a recipe for a yummy and thrifty hot cocoa mix:
  • 16 c. powdered dry milk
  • 1 1/4 c. cocoa powder
  • 5 c. sugar
  • 1/2 t. salt
Add 1/3 c. mix to 1 c. hot water and enjoy!


"It's the hap-happiest season of all!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...