Thursday, December 16, 2010

Food for Thought

I have a feeling many of my Thankful Thursday posts may have to do with food/grocery shopping, as it is the day I usually go do my shopping. :)

Today I am most thankful for the abundance and variety of food that we have, both in our cupboards, and at the store. We have so much more than what we need for our "daily bread" and basic nutrition. We can buy and enjoy food from almost any country in the world! Sweets and treats are abundant! I customarily eat foods that are in season, but If I'm in the mood for fresh tomatoes and raspberries in December, I can buy them! If I want really fancy food, I can buy it! Incidentally, I saw lump crab meat ON SALE for $15 per pound!!! ACK! But if I wanted some, I could buy it! I usually have many choices for each item, too: generic, store brand, several name brands, organic, low sodium, low fat, low sugar, etc... Our ancestors did not grow up with such luxury. Sometimes I wonder if we are so spoiled with our abundance so that we no longer appreciate the bounty of our blessings. Most of us probably pray before each meal to thank God for our food, but has it become just a matter of habit, or are we TRULY thankful? I try not to take any of these blessings for granted.

Some spiritual food for thought:
Matthew 6:11 - Give us this day our daily bread

Matthew 6:25-26 -
"Therefore I tell you,do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?


vs. 31-33 - Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

And let us pray that we do not become ungrateful like the children of Israel:


Numbers 11:4-6 - Now the rabble that was among them had a strong craving. And the people of Israel also wept again and said, "Oh that we had meat to eat! We remember the fish we ate in Egypt that cost nothing, the cucumbers, the melons, the leeks, the onions, and the garlic. But now our strength is dried up, and there is nothing at all but this manna to look at."

Deuteronomy 8:15-17 -
Who led you through the great and terrifying wilderness, with its fiery serpents and scorpions and thirsty ground where there was no water, who brought you water out of the flinty rock, who fed you in the wilderness with manna that your fathers did not know, that he might humble you and test you, to do you good in the end. Beware lest you say in your heart, 'My power and the might of my hand have gotten me this wealth.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...