Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Carrying His Burden

Photobucket

Acts 26:14 - And when we had all fallen to the ground, I heard a voice saying to me in the Hebrew language, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.'

I was thinking about this verse today and how we sometimes make life so much harder for ourselves by kicking against the goads. Why do we do that to ourselves?

A goad is a long stick used to prod animals - usually cattle. Imagine for a moment, that you are a cow. Your master wants you to go down a particular path. Perhaps it is unfamiliar and rocky. Perhaps you are thinking to yourself, "No, no, this isn't the way I usually go." Perhaps you can't see around a bend and are fearful of what lies ahead.

What will you do?

Will you trust your master? Will you listen to his wise words? Will you go peacefully where he gently leads?

Or will you fight him and kick against his prodding?

When you fight God's gentle prodding, you only hurt yourself. God is our master. He wants to lead us in the paths of righteousness. Why do we fight Him? Why must we insist upon being self-willed?

Ecclesiastes 12:

11The words of the wise are like goads, and like nails firmly fixed are the collected sayings; they are given by one Shepherd. 12My son, beware of anything beyond these. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

13The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. 14For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.

God, in His own way is asking you, "Is it hard?" Then He invites you,

"Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light."

Matthew 11:28-30

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...