Friday, May 6, 2011

Friday Fun: Homemade Playdough

I confess, I still haven't made playdough with the Littles. I plan to change that soon. I felt guilty about this for a while, until I realized that my Littles haven't been entirely deprived. Every time I make bread or pizza dough, they get a little piece, a toy rolling pin, and a fork and go to town with it!

If you want a recipe to make something special, here is my favorite recipe, that I've made dozens of times:

Kool Aid Playdough
  • 2 1/2 c. flour
  • 1/2 c. salt
  • 1 Tbs. alum
  • 2 pkg. Kool-Aid (the color of the mix determines the dough color)
  • 3 Tbs. oil
  • 2 c. very warm water
Let the children help you add the ingredients and take turns mixing. Sprinkle some flour on the table in front of each child. Break off large hunks of dough for each child and show them how to knead in the flour. Break out the cookie cutters and rolling pins and have fun! When you are done for the day, store it in an airtight container and it will keep for weeks!

The best part of this particular recipe is the smell, which is AMAZING! While the ingredients are all edible, discourage the children from eating the dough. It really doesn't taste good and has an awful lot of salt in it!

If you want to make some playdough to eat, just mix equal parts peanut butter, dry powdered milk, and honey until you get a nice smooth dough. You can have little bowls of shredded coconut, raisins, nuts, and candies for decorating.

Have fun and try not to stress about the mess!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...