Thursday, May 24, 2012

Some kids say, "I'm bored"...

...some kids, like Big Littles just start making trouble.  Big Littles never complains of boredom, but I can tell when he needs something to do because he starts being a pest in every possible way.  (And I do love that boy.)   Yes, the boy needs to keep busy doing something productive, and that means putting him to work or giving him some direction in his play.  Apparently my Dad was the same way.  My Granny used to tell the story that she would get exasperated trying to keep my Dad busy, so she would finally just say, "Go outside and chase yourself!"

While running off energy is good, I'm always looking for more creative ways to keep him busy doing things that are productive and positive that do not include TV, movies, or screens of any kind.  Problem is, my brain gets muddled and I have a hard time remembering all of those brilliant ideas.  But my dear friend, the Deputy Headmistress, blogging at The Common Room has compiled a wonderful collection of ideas... a treasure trove of ideas...  She's been compiling these ideas since the year I was born, first on index cards, and now in an e-book that you can read on your Kindle, tablet, or just on your computer:

She was sweet enough to send me a free copy to preview, and even though I've been reading her blog for a long while, it is so useful to have all of these ideas in one place.  There are games in this book that I played as a child, but forgot the rules, such as "Sardines in a Can" as well as a great many that are new to me.  There are things to do inside, outside, in the car, in the kitchen, or in the bathtub.  There are activities for a wide range of ages, so I see myself using this resource for years to come.  The best thing about this collection of ideas is that nearly every one includes things most people already have around their house.  No need to spend hours of prep time or make a trip to the craft store for a 15 minute activity.  This book is about getting creative with what you already have.

Imagine... you find yourself waiting for an extra long time in a doctor's waiting room and your little ones are getting antsy.  You pull out your kindle, tablet, or whatever, and instead of letting your little ones play "Angry Birds", you look up a game in this e-book and give the little ones something much more clever, creative, and stimulating... you teach them "Hull Gull Odd or Even" or "Coffeepot".

 "The cure for boredom is curiosity.  There is no cure for curiosity."  ~Dorothy Parker

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...